Sunday, August 14, 2011

Maya bouncing ball tutorial videos reflection questions

After watching the 2 hour tutorial of bouncing ball. I learnt alot about the basics of using Maya to create animation. For example, I learnt how to apply a bump map, setting up the camera and rotation.

1) Do you need to draw well to create good 2D animation? Explain your view.
Yes, I think you need to draw well in order to create good 2d animation. 2D animation is drawn using hand therefore the artist must be good in drawing. All else nobody would want to watch 2D animations that has poorly drawn characters.

2) Do you need to be able to draw well to create 3D animation? Explain your view.
No. I do not think that you need to draw well to create good 3D animation. Unlike 2D animation, 3D animations are created using softwares like Maya. It is presented using 3D models rather than 2D drawings. I think the 3D animators just need to have a creative imagination.

3) What do you think would separate a piece of animation from a piece of good animation? In other words, how would you go about deciding if a piece of animation is good or bad?
I would decide whether the animation is good or bad by looking at how the characters move. I think the charcters must move in a natural and realistic way, so that it would look convincing to me. The facial movements of the charcters must react accordingly to what is happening in the story. They should also avoid cliched poses and reactions, while still being able think up new ways to surprise the audience.

4) In 2D animation, you need to be aware of timing at a frame by frame level, using timing charts and other techniques- but for 3d animation, this is handled using graph editor, which is more concerned with manipulating rates of change over time. Does this affect how you approach your animation work? Explain.
Yes, it does affect how I approach my work. I think 3D animation suits me better as using a graph editor is more efficient for me rather than having to draw the animation out.

5)Give a brief critique of Maya as an animation tool. Don't just say Maya makes animation difficult , or easy, or that you need to learn a lot of stuff to use Maya- explain what Maya does well and not so well in terms of creating animation.
I think Maya is quite well rounded in creating animation. I did not encounter major problems in using the software. Maya makes the 3D animation rather realistis and smooth in my opinion. I cannot give much critiques about it as this is the only 3D software I have ever used to create animation. Overall, it is very easy to use and I do not have any problems with it. It is a great animation tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment